If you would like to volunteer help in school you will be very welcome. Your help with activities such as art and craft, cookery, games or sharing a story will be much appreciated by the children and staff. It will also add that little extra to the life of the school. We are always grateful for your time and enthusiasm in the classroom.
If you have a special skill to offer, or simply invaluable time and enthusiasm, please do let us know!I
Our Commitment to You
As one of our valued volunteers, we are committed to giving you the following:
- a friendly and supportive working environment;
- enthusiastic children;
- an opportunity to contribute to decisions about how volunteering in the school is managed;
- recognition for the work that you do and its impact on learning;
- a reference if you apply for paid work here or elsewhere.
Your Commitment to us
Please be aware that you will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check. If you are not known to the school we also ask that you provide two referees and attend an informal interview. You will also be required to attend child protection training.
We are well aware that your time and energies are given freely and willingly. Most volunteers work in school at a set time each week, and if you can commit to this for at least half a term, we would find this helpful. However, we do not insist that you commit to working for a fixed or indefinite period of time, or give notice when you wish to stop volunteering at Mereside. We do ask that you agree to and abide by the guidance found in the Volunteer Handbook, issued to you when you apply to volunteer.
We would also ask that you let us know if you have made an arrangement that you later find you cannot keep. Your work is valuable to the school and staff may have been counting on you to help with an activity. Just give us a call as soon as you know you cannot come.
As mentioned above anyone volunteering or undertaking work experience in our school will be required to undergo and enhanced DBS check and Child Protection training.
If at any time when working in the school you have concerns for the welfare or safety of a child please seek to share your concern as soon as possible with the Designated Safeguarding Lead or Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Designated Safeguarding Lead is: Mrs Liz Holmes (headteacher)
Deputy Designated Safeguarding leads are: Mr Jason Gathercole, Mrs Ffion Carr and Mrs Rachel Harper
We appreciate the help that all our volunteers give in supporting the work of the school.
- On Friday 18th November, 2022 we will be raising awareness for ‘Children in Need’. Children can come to school dressed in casual clothes.
- The PTA will be holding a school Disco for all our children. Please view the PTA consent form below for exact details of the event schedule for each year group. The Disco will take place after school on Friday 2nd December, 2022
- We all know that buying Christmas jumpers each year can be quite expensive and they are only worn for such a short period of time. We are looking for donations of Christmas Clothing etc which we can then sell on the playground on the 1st December.
- We would be very grateful if you were able to your donate your unwanted items to school as part of our Bag2school fundraiser. The more they weigh, the more they pay!
- This year for our Harvest Festival Service will take place at St Giles Church on Wednesday 19th October, 2022. Leading up to this date we are going to be collecting items for the Shrewsbury Food Bank.
Latest School Events
- Parent/Carer Open Evening for Reception 2023 Intake05Dec2022
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm @ Mereside Academy
An opportunity for parents/carers of pre-school children due to start school in September 2023, to visit the school. Please contact the school office by phone or email to book your place.
- Shrewsbury College Students Panto Performance of Aladdin for EYFS, Year 1 and 206Dec2022
12:00 am - 1:00 am @ Mereside Academy
- Shrewsbury College Students Panto Performance of Aladdin for Year 307Dec2022
10:30 am - 11:30 am @ Shrewsbury College
- School Christmas Lunch07Dec2022
11:30 am - 1:15 pm @ Mereside Academy
The menu is: Roast Turkey with Chipolatas or Best of British Vegan Sausage (v) served with Stuffing Balls, Roast & Mashed Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Sprouts & Garden Peas. Followed by Festive Cupcakes or Christmas Shortbread or Fresh Fruit Salad or Yoghurt.
- Shrewsbury College Students Panto Performance of Aladdin for Year 407Dec2022
1:30 pm - 2:30 pm @ Shrewsbury College