Maths :Our Vision
At Mereside we believe that Mathematics is a creative subject for everyone, and it has its own unique place in our curriculum.
We follow a mastery approach to learning and teaching in maths, which aims to:
• Develop a ‘can do’ attitude in our children
• Foster positive attitudes, interest and excitement of discovery through problem solving and explaining what we notice
• Link concepts together so that children can see that the maths world is intertwined
• Promote a variety of methods and approaches whilst looking for the most efficient way in each circumstance
• Encourage and develop fluency of calculation
Within this approach, we use rich questioning and discussion, and actively encourage reflection on learning. We take time over new concepts and revisit previous learning in order to keep it fresh. We focus on using and applying skills in a range of maths and real life contexts. We use misconceptions to move children’s learning forward as well as provide challenge in thinking differently. We aim to be responsive to the needs of our children and provide appropriate support and challenge.
Pupils at Mereside study mathematics to become functioning adults who are able to think mathematically enabling them to reason, solve problems and calculate in the real world. The basic skills of mathematics are vital for the life opportunities of our children.
Our Maths Curriculum