Our School Science Vision
As a school we believe that Science helps us to discover, interact positively with and understand the world around us and sustain our natural curiosity.
Science offers children the opportunity to explore, understand, take responsibility for and appreciate the world around them.
We believe that Science allows our children to develop essential life skills such as investigating, questioning, practical exploration, direct teaching, exposition, problem solving, observations, modelling and debating.
Our School Principles for Teaching Science.
As a staff we have discussed what we believe are the key principles that underpin science in our school. Here are our principles:
- There is clear progression of skills and knowledge throughout the school. Teachers know what has been previously taught and what will be taught in the future.
- Staff will have a good subject knowledge and are able to direct the learning
- Children will be taught and use key scientific vocabulary in their learning.
- The progression throughout school allows children to build on their knowledge
- Children’s learning leads to future revelations and link making.
- Resources are accessible, effective and easy to use.
- Teachers provide opportunities for children’s misconceptions to be challenged through providing key experiences and opportunities to argue, counter argue and ask their own questions.
- Children will experience a range of high quality scientific questions in order to pose their own.
- Children will experience a range of scientific enquiries in order to be able to apply this in their own investigations.
- Children link science learning to real life and value the contribution scientists have made.
- Children will have transferable skills.
- Science learning is memorable.
Our School main aims for Science
At Mereside Primary School we believe a high-quality Science education provides foundations for understanding the world. Through building key knowledge and understanding of concepts, pupils should be encouraged to recognise the power of rational explanation and develop a sense of curiosity about natural phenomena.
We want our children to leave our school with:
- Secure scientific knowledge and skills ready to build on in the next stage of their learning.
- The scientific knowledge, curiosity and understanding to be effective global citizens.
Whole School Documents for Science
Coming soon... Up to date photos of science learning in school
Mereside Growing Club News
Coming soon... Updates on what our growing club has been up to.