Mereside CE Primary
Our school was formed in September 2009 by the amalgamation of two adjoining schools; Springfield Infant School and Holy Cross Church of England Junior School. The name of the school reflects our location adjacent to the mere, and this theme continues in our school logo, designed with input from the children, which contains a swan together with a cross.
The original vision and values of the school were reviewed by all members of the school community in 2015.
Our Vision for the future:
Mereside CE Primary will be at the heart of its local community, providing an outstanding education built on Christian Values which inspires our children and develops the skills and understanding needed to be lifelong learners.
Firstly a Christian perspective on how we would like to live our life as a school ( This lovely thought to meditate upon was given to us by Mrs Rosalind Abbot, Lay Reader at our parish church, St Giles):
“God gives of his very best to us, and the only response we can make is to give of our very best to Him, in every aspect of our lives; in all the work we do, all the contacts we have with people, and in our care for everything and everyone around us. By trying to live up to his ways we live up to being the extraordinary people he created us to be."
Central to our school is the Christian value of love
We take inspiration from the words of Jesus :( John 13:34) “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. ”
We strive to achieve this through:
Respect, Compassion, Perseverance and Honesty in all that we do.
Our motto :
"Live to learn, learn to live"
Our Mission Statements (how we will achieve our vision):
- Offering a broad, rich curriculum in a supportive environment, that develops the skills and attributes needed for lifelong learning in all our children
- Becoming a centre of excellence with high expectations and standards which parents, pupils and staff are happy to belong to
- Celebrating our foundation through collective worship that is distinctively Christian but inspires and includes people of different faiths and none
- Being a welcoming, safe, friendly place that is child centered and fun, where uniqueness is valued and celebrated
- Preparing our children to play a full, independent and active role as good world citizens
- Becoming a focal point for the whole community, building strong cohesive links with our families, church, local area and wider community
Mereside CE News
- Bag 2 School
'Thank you' to everyone who filled a bag for the PTA fundraiser 'Bag 2 School'. A fantastic £76.00 has been raised for school funds.
- Plastic Bottles Update!
A huge 'Thank you' to everyone who sent in their empty 2 litre plastic bottles. We have received over our target of 1500 bottles and will begin building the greeenhouse before Easter.
- Comic Relief Red Noses!
From Monday 25th February, 2019 we are selling Red Noses. If your child would like to support the charity and join in the fun they can purchase their own Red Nose from the School Office at a cost of £1.25 per nose.
- Online Safety
The MOMO challenge is a particularly unpleasant 'challenge' which has managed to hack into a wide range of online games, video & social media sites displaying disturbing images & challenges. A link to the National Online Safety website is attached.
- World Book Day 2019
To celebrate 'World Book Day' on Thursday 7th March, 2019 children can come to school dressed as their favourite book character.
Latest School Events
- Year 5 & 6 School Choir Performance - Romany Wood25Mar2019
4:30 pm - 9:00 pm @ Theatre Severn
To celebrate the theatre's 10 year anniversary, our Year 5 & 6 children from the school choir will be taking part, along with children from other Shropshire Schools, in the Shrewsbury & District Primary Schools' Music Association production of 'Romany Wood'. The children will have rehearsals from 4.30pm with the performance starting at 7.00pm. Tickets for this event are available from the Theatre Severn Box Ofice; 01743 281281.
- Otters Class Swimming Lesson26Mar2019
9:00 am - 10:50 am @ Prestfelde School
Otters Class will be going to Prestfelde School for their weekly swimming lesson.
- KS1 Singing Festival Rehearsal - 'Space'27Mar2019
9:30 am - 11:30 am @ Belvidere Secondary School
Some of our Year 2 children are attending a rehearsal for their performance at the KS1 singing festival 'Space'.
- U11 Boys County Plate Football Tournament (Round 2)27Mar2019
4:00 pm - 5:30 pm @ Telford College (TCAT)
Our U11 boys football team are taking part in the second round of this tournament. This is the rescheduled event which was cancelled in January.
- KS1 Singing Festival Performance - 'Space'27Mar2019
6:30 pm - 7:15 pm @ Belvidere Secondary School
Some of our Year 2 children are taking part in the Shrewsbury & District Primary Schools' Music Association KS1 singing festival 'Space'.